It is difficult to spend more than two minutes on social media without coming across people engaging in arguments that are unproductive and mean spirited.
I have always enjoyed a respectful debate and today offer my …
Top 7 Ways to Win a Debate on Social Media
- Do your research before engaging. Having relevant facts supported by data in your back pocket almost guarantees a good result.
- Be selective. Engaging in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent is a waste of time.
- Pay attention to your counterpart’s argument. It’s not a debate if you keep hammering away at your position without taking into account valid points from the other side. Intellectual vulnerability is a powerful concept that ensures lessons are learned and argumentation proficiency improves.
- Stick to logic. Critical thinking and a solution-based approach are … critical.
- Avoid name calling. As soon as you make it a personal attack, you lose. It shows weakness, and the audience loses respect for you.
- Avoid rabbit holes. If your counterpart heads down a confusing path that diverts from your central argument, don’t go there!
- After crushing your counterpart, avoid doing a happy dance in public. Few people like sore losers but even fewer like arrogant winners.