As I constructed the business plan for a truth/respect-focused platform, I had countless people tell me that it is impossible for a media company to be objective in its reporting.
I beg to differ. While it is impossible to completely eliminate bias, our business model uniquely positions BIG Media (yes, there is irony in the company name) to present spin-free, factual information on the big issues. With that in mind, I present …
The Top 11 Ways that BIG Media Gives You the Truth
- Our journalists and ownership group are aligned in the belief that making a difference is more important than making money … not that we are opposed to the idea of making buckets of cash one day. Even in that event, we will not get carried away; there will be a maximum of 3 yachts longer than 100 feet permitted to dock at our island at one time.
- Our journalists are almost all accomplished scientists with expertise in interpreting and presenting data without spin. They do not need to impress anyone, and they enjoy helping people understand what is actually going on in this complex world.
- We do not do what virtually every other media company does habitually; quote experts to “prove” whatever theory any editor or reporter comes up with. The fact is, online searches can quickly produce a highly educated expert who will sing just about any song we can imagine. For proof of this, simply do an online search of “flat earth experts”.
- Our editorial guidelines prohibit contributors from including opinion or spin in the news stories. We find Oxford commas much more appealing.
- We do not cherry-pick data. We work with the most scientifically sound, reliable data possible, then summarize the findings logically. We cite gaps in the data, and comprehensive attribution makes it easy for readers to check our work.
- We will never engage in personal attacks on our platform – even in the case of fear-mongering, integrity-lacking piranhas in the mainstream media. OK, I am still working on this one.
- We publish news stories that conflict with viewpoints on both sides of the political spectrum and on all sides of the COVID/vaccination/lockdown debate. For example, we produced a story that explained with solid data that COVID-19 is much more deadly than the flu, and in the same article showed that flu deaths increased sharply after widespread flu vaccination was introduced: COVID-19 is definitely not the flu We are never out to prove a point; we simply aim to present our findings in a way that empowers readers with knowledge.
- We do not accept advertising. Therefore, we are not under pressure to favour certain commercial entities or industries, nor engage in the all-too-common practice of click-bait journalism, in which sensationalized coverage is used to attract readers.
- We practise intellectual humility. Not only do we accept constructive criticism, we encourage it. Bring it on! And please bring good data and logic to the table.
- We are generally nice humans who want to help reduce polarization in our society, thereby making the third rock from the sun at least slightly more habitable.
- We have no political affiliation and no ulterior motive; our focus is on documenting truth.
If you could use a little more truth in your life and have not yet done so, sign up at our membership page and be part of the change.