Summary of events from BBC News:
- US President Joe Biden has delivered a televised speech on the U.S. response to Hamas’s attack against Israel.
- He said he will ask U.S. Congress for billions of dollars in funding for Israel and Ukraine, saying abandoning the US allies was “just not worth it”.
- But he urged Israeli leaders to learn from U.S. mistakes after the 9/11 attacks and to avoid being “blinded by rage”.
- Biden’s speech comes after his whirlwind trip to Israel and after an agreement was reached with Egypt to allow aid to enter Gaza.
- Gaza remains under siege, with Israel blocking supplies of water, electricity, food and fuel across its border.