Some of you might see this list as self-serving – and you would be correct – but I think it also serves the other 7,943,412,999 people on the third rock from the Sun.
BIG Media’s Top 7 Ways to Help Earth Be More Habitable:
- Reduce consumption of natural and unnatural resources. We in the developed world are reducing our per-capita energy use, but we have a LONG way to go – Climate change and energy: context for the great debate.
- Promote peace by being respectful to everyone in your community – even those with whom you disagree on important issues. Hear them out, then introduce alternative viewpoints. Racists are more likely to remain racists if they are isolated and never given opportunities to hear opposing perspectives. That does not mean we give people a platform to promote hate, but it is important to challenge hateful behaviour without giving the haters more reason to hate.
- Don’t sit on fat stacks of cash; put that money to work in meaningful ways. Your kids don’t need an inheritance; witnessing strong leadership is much more valuable.
- Consider ways that we can help the less fortunate. Compassion and generosity are contagious, so even small acts can have a huge impact.
- Support truth/integrity-focused media outlets such as BIG Media that empower people with knowledge rather than mislead people through sensationalism.
- Work to stay (or become) physically and mentally fit. Our bodies and brains need regular workouts to be effective. If we are in good shape, we will avoid being a drain on our healthcare systems and on our families, and we will have more energy with which we can tackle the other items on this list.
- Be a nice human.